DoodleMeister.com Loves Doodles

This is my first-ever blog post, folks, so please be gentle.

O.K., I’ll begin by explaining the blog name. You know that the word “doodle” usually refers to random jottings made while otherwise occupied—on the phone, attending meetings, watching television, or just daydreaming. Doodles are very rough sketches of people, patterns, animals, objects, etc. Examples: The logo sketch in the above header; and to the left, details from a sketchbook page and calendar (those little empty squares make lovely frames). If memory serves, both were done while viewing C-SPAN Book TV one Sunday afternoon. My plan for the blog is to expand the definition of doodling to include—in addition to visual crafts such as photography, cartooning, illustration and graphic design—play writing, prose (fiction and non), and anything else (woodworking? ironing?), that invades my brain pan. A little of this, a little of that—the whole blog becoming one big doodle. Making the content interesting for readers/viewers other than close friends and family is my challenge. We’ll see how it goes. (By the way, the “meister” part of “DoodleMeister” I can explain only as something that I came up with while doodling away in a state of wishful self-delusion.)

Doodle Object Lesson

Doodlers know the practice can become obsessive. In his spare time between assignments and on work breaks or at lunch, an illustrator coworker of mine did his intricate doodles on large sheets of illustration board, watercolor paper, the morning paper, and scraps of any material within reach that would tolerate a pen or brush line. They were brilliant. He was a master of using crosshatch shading to create images of subtle beauty, each of the works consisting of thousands—what looked to me like millions—of tiny lines. I admired him as an illustrator but even more as a doodler. There was no chance I’d ever be that good, but his fantastical works inspired me to try. Above is one of my crude attempts to apply what I learned watching him. For some reason I decided to add extra shading with a red pencil, which of course is redundant.

Optional Doodle Interaction

To help make this introduction to my blog interactive, please send one of your favorite doodles to me as an email attachment. The address is: jimscartoons@aol.com, and write “Doodle Interaction” in the subject line. I’ll post my favorites on the Doodlemeister.com blog, paired with your comments. Your submission will serve as my permission to use your doodle.

Copyright © 2008 Jim Sizemore.

Advertisements

12 Responses to DoodleMeister.com Loves Doodles

1. don wimmer says:

jim

good luck with the blog!

fellow doodler,

don wimmer
    rose is rose

2. Mike Lynch says:

Sounds like this is going to be a fun blog! I put up an announcement and links to your site over at my blog, Jim!

3. I like it. Those are some serious doodles you have there. I shudder to think of what what happen if you stopped doodling and took up noodling…

4. delphiniumdays says:

Hi! I’ve never heard about doodle unfortunately! And now after your post i intended to try this! Thank you for opening my eyes! 🙂

5. Jim says:

Mike, thanks so much for the wonderful comments and the link. Now that it’s too late for anyone to say I’m pandering for your approval I must tell you (again) I’m a big fan of your work. Some time back I sent a fan email about your short animations and used the word “brilliant” to describe them. How true. Also love your illustration and editorial work. As soon as I can figure out how to do it I’d like to link to your blog, with your permission of course.
    Jim Sizemore

6. Jim says:

Love your sketch blog, Melissa. And thanks for your comment on my new doodlemiester thingy. With your permission, and as soon as I can figure out how to do it, I’d like to link to your spot. Meanwhile I’m also trying to figure out how to respond to comments on my blog. As you can see, I’m no techie.
    Jim Sizemore

7. Jim says:

I really like your work, Rick. Reminds me of my youth in the 50s reading stacks of horror comics, before they were banned. You young folks don’t know how rough we had back in the day. Thanks for your comment on my new doodlemiester.com blog. I’d like to exchange links as soon as I figure out how it’s done.
    Jim Sizemore

8. shirley says:

doodle for dollars
    someone hollers

9. Maria says:

great idea, Jim. I know blogs are supposed to be excellent in building your “fan base”! You have the talent to pull off a hybrid doodling/creative writing blog… or is it a hyper drooling/creative biting slog…bog…whatever! best, Maria

10. Mike Lynch says:

Jim, you got a plug on Tom Spurgeon’s blog Comics Reporter. No permalink but hit http://comicsreporter.com/ and scroll down a bit.

11. Jim–Yours is a “Site for Sore Eyes!”

No doubt you’ve heard of a Yankee Doodle Dandy! Well, here’s one of my Rebel
    Dandy Doodles. I used to doodle these “page number people” on overlay
    paper back when I was lettering comics for Marvel in the 1990’s.–Rick Parker

12. Jim says:

Love you page number person, Rick, and I plan to post it just as soon as I can figure out how to do it. Please bear with me. As you know, I’m new at this blog game.
    Jim